Remember, it is always a good time to apply for scholarships so February 2009 is no exception. There are quite a few national awards with due dates coming up in the next month, and here is some information and links to help you get started with some of the bigger and better known scholarships.
- KFC Scholars – If you apply before February 10, 2009 you can be considered for a KFC Colonel’s scholarship. Selected students will receive as much as $5,000 a year to help pay for college, books, and expenses. Even better, this can be renewed for the entire four years of university to a total award of $20,000.
- Best Buy Scholarship – Current high school students with a grade point average of 2.5 or higher are eligible to apply for the Best Buy Scholarship. $1,500 will be awarded to 1,000 students: That’s a whole lot of free money for college, more than a million dollars is available for students through this particular program. Applications are due on February 15th, so make sure to hurry up and get those turned in.
- Boren Awards for International Study – “Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad” and applications will be due this month, February 2009. Final applications are due on the 11th, but on-campus apps may be due a bit sooner (Sorry I didn’t post this earlier!)
- US Bank Sweepstakes – This content will award thirty students with $1,000 dollars. Basically you just need to fill out a form to register, but winners be selected randomly. The odds aren’t great with these types of contests, but they can be quick to sign up for compared to scholarships that require lengthy essays and applications. The online application form will be open until February 28, 2009 but after that its too late to be considered.
- National Co-op Scholarship Program – This scholarship is available for students with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. OK, its not exactly a national award – its only for students attending one of ten colleges listed. This scholarship requires an essay, but it would be a great opportunity for anyone planning to enroll with one of the schools participating.